Thursday, May 13, 2010

Table Topper

Believe it or not, but decorating the nursery has not been the only thing consuming my creative energy. I have been working on a few other projects around the house, as time allows, including decorating our "breakfast room". Its really a little enclosed addition right off our kitchen that is not only our breakfast room but our lunch, dinner, and craft room. Our home in Richmond did not have an eat in kitchen so all of our dining took place in the dining room. This was fine pre Elliot, but once he came into the picture our dining room table, chairs, rug, and walls took a beating.

Now that I have an a pseudo-eat in kitchen I don't think I'll ever be able to buy a home that doesn't have one. Because our last house didn't have such a room, I didn't have furnishing for the room. So while we were temporarily living in Williamsburg, VA I started checking local thrift and consignment stores for pedestal tables and small buffets. I scored both for $80! A little cleaning and some white paint and they were as good as new.


A few months into living with the table I realized that I was either going to have to re coat the table top every few months (due to Elliot's messy eating, utensil banging, and frequent scrubbing) or cover it with something. I decided to sew a fitted cover with oil cloth, similar to one I had seen years ago in Cottage Living. I love the way it turned out, and the pop of color it adds to the room. And most importantly, I LOVE hoe easy it is to clean. Check out Fabric.com's selection of oil cloth here. In fact, I like it so much that I may start taking custom orders in my Etsy shop.



The room isn't quite done yet. I want to paint the trim around the window ,the exposed brick, and the ceiling bright white. I'd also love to replace the fan (which is dark brown) with a fun light, but there is no A/C in the room so I think the fan is a must. I am on the lookout for a white fan with a light on Craig's List.



1 comment:

Chuzai Living said...

Hi! My friend, Kelly, introduced me to your blog. I browsed through your posts and you are so talented!!! I also love interior design. I love your work!! I will try to come back to your blog when I have more time. Keep up the great work!! -Kaho

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails