Thursday, June 12, 2014

For the Golfer Dad

In my opinion, Father's Day should be a handmade holiday. After all, nothing says "I love and appreciate you" quite like a handmade gift.  In year's past I've made my husband pint glasses etched with neckties, a memory game with pictures of him and my son, and a shirt inspired by this post by Pink and Green Mama.

If you follow my blog, you know we are looking for our next home. One of the requirements for the house is an office/man den for my hubby. Although he doesn't have his office yet, I thought it would be fun to make him something for it.

I've always liked the look of the vintage black and white subway signs like these available at Restoration hardware for $649!


In honor of my hubby's love of golf I decided to make a similar sign listing his favorite courses (of those he has played).


There are an abundance of tutorials online for making your own signs. I used this tutorial to construct my sign then used my own technique for the letters.

After constructing my sign, I primed it and painted it white. The kids helped me with this step.


Next, I measured out my word placement and used my silhouette cameo to cut the course names out of vinyl. I used painter's tape to help space the course names and keep them straight. Admittedly, I did not do the best job of measuring and I had to hand place quite a few letters. I also wish I had left more space at the top of the sign.


After removing the painter's tape, I rolled on another coat of white paint over the letters. I did this to seal the edges around each letter to prevent black paint from seeping under the edges.




Once the white paint was dry, I spray painted the entire sign black. I let the spray paint dry over night before carefully peeling off the vinyl letters. I had a couple of areas that needed some touch up, but not many. I can't wait to present him with his gift on Sunday and I have the perfect place to hang it in the rental until we find our dream house.

I know Father's Day is in a couple of days, and this project may be hard to pull off with only a few days to go - but I think it could be achieved on a smaller scale, i.e. particle board in pre-made frame. The most time consuming part of this project was the drying time. To get around it you could paint the sign black and use white vinyl letters.

Has anyone else made something fun for Father's Day? I'd love to hear about other creative projects honoring Dads.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Love this idea and the sign!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails